Lying within County Westmeath and close to Fore Village, Fore Abbey is a 7th-century Christian monastery that was founded by Saint Feichin and is believed to have once housed a community of 300 monks.
The monastery was set on fire a total of 12 times between 771 and 1169. Today, the remains of the monastery, as well as St. Feichin’s Church (a church built in 900 AD) and 12 Fore crosses lie across the County Westmeath countryside.
In the 13th century Norman landlord, Hugh de Lacy, built a Benedictine Priory. And, in the 15th century, additional parts were added to the priory, including a fortified tower.
What remains of the priory can be explored today but not all of it is open to the public.