Dunguaire Castle is a 16th-century tower house situated along Galway Bay and close to Kinvara Village in County Galway. The medieval castle was built by the Hynes Clan in 1520 then passed on to the Martyn clan who remained within the castle until 1924.
Oliver St. John Gogarty, an Irish writer and surgeon, bought the castle in 1924 and worked hard on restoring the castle’s charm and historical features. Gogarty made the castle a meeting place for fellow writers such as W.B. Yeats, George Bernard Shaw and J.M. Synge.
In 1954, Christobel Lady Ampthill took over the castle and completed the restoration Gogarty had started. Today, Shannon Development Trust runs the castle.
Dunguaire Castle is a wondrous sight along the west coast of Ireland. The Shannon Development has made it possible to enter the castle throughout the year and even hosts a medieval banquet for those wanting to soak up the historic charm and magical feel of the place.